Tell me about Hillcrest . . .Hillcrest Transitional Housing offers homeless families, singles and youth a disciplined educational program in a caring, supportive environment. Unlike many organizations whose focus is one-time or emergency care, Hillcrest’s primary objective is to move clients from homelessness to self-sufficiency by addressing the total life situation of the homeless families they serve. Hear Robin’s story here.
Hillcrest is the most successful program of its kind in the Kansas City Metropolitan area – with up to an 83% program graduation rate – and has been recognized for best practices by the National Alliance to End Homelessness. Hillcrest has been serving families for over 40 years by providing a 90-day transitional housing program to help families become fully self-sufficient. They recognize that homelessness does not discriminate and they seek to help families are willing to work hard to make significant changes. Read more here.
Hillcrest GALA – Thursday, August 19th!
Hillcrest is delighted to present their 21st Annual Gala and Auction, to be held at the Arrowhead North Club at Arrowhead Stadium! This is Hillcrest’s largest annual fundraiser, featuring silent and live auctions as well as moving stories of program graduates. Check out more information here!
You can participate . . .
- Provide a basket/item for their auction; examples of successful gala items have included sports memorabilia, gift baskets, hotels and restaurant gift cards, spa packages, and more. Minimum value should be $50. Assembled baskets/gifts should be delivered by August 6th, 2021 to one of the Hillcrest Thrift Stores, located in Lee’s Summit and Lenexa. You may also bring the items to the church and leave them with Ros for delivery prior to that date.
- If you wish to attend the event, you may order your tickets by clicking here. The event schedule is: 6:00pm – Silent Auction; 7:00pm – Dinner and Program; 8:00pm – Dessert and Live Auction.
Know that the proceeds from the sale of all items will directly benefit the families and youth Hillcrest serves, helping them achieve their dream of overcoming homelessness and regaining self-sufficiency!
+ + + + +
How can we at Atonement help make a difference? During this pandemic we have supported Hillcrest by supplying food to their client food pantry from our monthly food drives; holding several work days pre-pandemic at their sites in KCKS and OPKS; and adopting a family this past Christmas. One of our Bible study groups has also provided multiple donations. Now we are ready to take the next step.
The Outreach Team has led the way to partnering with Hillcrest by adopting one of the apartments at Hillcrest’s Kansas City KS location (738 N 31st), a mere 20-minute drive from Atonement. And we invite you to join us as we help families leave homelessness behind!
There are a variety of ways that volunteers can be involved – including:
- Team(s) of volunteers can ready the apartment for a family moving in, once every 3-4 months, making sure it is clean and well-stocked with a week’s worth of food, household items and linens, and adequate furnishings – making this apartment a “home” that they would be comfortable in. The Outreach Team can supply most of the items needed. OR
- Handymen/women can make minor repairs that arise, such as basic carpentry, electrical or plumbing, painting walls, etc. OR
- Cleaning out? We will be restocking our apartment every 3-4 months, and your new or gently used items such as kitchen utensils and small appliances, decorative items, linens, and more would help provide a welcome for a new family OR
- Volunteers can make a home-cooked meal for the family when they move in . . . stay in contact with that family, periodically send postcards/cards, and provide much-needed support during their stay. OR
- We would remember the family at Christmas, on Valentine’s Day and birthdays, and help provide school supplies for children. OR
- The Outreach Team and the Missional Life team will support Hillcrest financially, which allows for case managers who work one-on-one with clients . . . life skills & community living classes that include topics on parenting, nutrition, legal issues, etc . . . dental, medical, and eye care for the entire family . . . links to programs to receive their GED, smoking cessation, and professional services . . . children’s programming . . . volunteers who provide haircuts, auto repair, babysitting, budget counseling, and more . . . and pastoral care OR
- A team of folks who would be willing to serve for one year to help coordinate our ministry with Hillcrest. OR
- What is your special interest?
We are excited to take this next step – and we invite you to be a part of it! As you have read above, there are a variety of ways to be part of this; time and energy commitments can vary. Together we can share our gifts and our support to make a difference in the lives of families who have no hope – and to be part of the solution to END homelessness in Kansas City. Please contact Ros for more details or to sign up!